Help on Dict

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEME.cybersource.com.au
Mon Feb 26 01:58:34 EST 2007

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 07:15:43 +0200, Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:

>  "James Stroud" <jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu> wrote:
>

>> Clement wrote:
>> > Can any body tell how Dict is implemented in python... plz tell what
>> > datastructure that uses................
>> >

>> I think it uses a dict.
>
> "Groan!" - this answer is like Microsoft documentation -
> while technically correct, it is useless...  : - )

Which I think was deliberate. The Original Poster asked a reasonable
question in a stupid way (Python is case-insensitive -- are we supposed
to guess what a Dict is? what language is 'plz'?), and I believe James
deliberately gave a stupid answer to highlight that.

class Dict(dict):
    pass

is what I thought of when I saw the question. I guess James might have
thought the same way.

Unfortunately, more often than not, the sort of person who uses 'plz' in
an email probably isn't going to recognise the subtleties of James' reply.

--
Steven D'Aprano