Pep 3105: the end of print?

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 08:33:59 EST 2007

On Feb 16, 12:47 pm, "Edward K Ream" <edream... at charter.net> wrote:
> > There is also the 2to3 converter. The aim is that this will be
>
> effective enough that coders should be able to maintain a 2.X (2.6 ?)
> codebase, run it through 2to3 and have the result run unchanged on
> Python 3. That way there will be no need to maintain two code bases.
>
> I have offered a proof that the converter must change print to print2 (or
> some other name) in order to maintain a common code base.  How much clearer
> can I be?  If a common code base is desired, it *is* the end of print

Why won't it be possible to make 'print' in Python 3 that supports all
the functionality of the current print statement, and then translate
to that ?

I saw an assertion to the effect that it wasn't possible - but no
proof.

It sounds relatively straightforward for me...

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/articles.shtml