try...except...finally problem in Python 2.5

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEME.cybersource.com.au
Wed Feb 14 21:31:35 EST 2007

Replying to my own question...

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:17:00 +1100, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> I don't see where the "with" version closes the file either. How does it
> know that I want to call the f's close() method, rather than, say,
> f.exit() or f.do_something_else()?

Ah, I *think* I see... file objects in Python 2.5 are objects that know
how to work with the "with" statement; that is they obey the "context
management" protocol and have __enter__ and __exit__ methods that do the
right thing to make everything work correctly.

http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/pep-343.html

Have I got it right?

--
Steven D'Aprano