Can Parallel Python run on a muti-CPU server ?

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 7 08:41:40 EST 2007

fdu.xiaojf at gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm interested in Parallel Python and I learned from the website of
>> Parallel Python
>> that it can run on SMP and clusters. But can it run on a our muti-CPU
>> server ?
>> We are running an origin3800 server with 128 CPUs.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> I have tested that at least it could run sum_primes.py on our server.
>
> But it seems Parallel Python just launch one python process for
> each job, and if I let it use 12 CPUs for 8 jobs, Parallel Python
> launches 12 python processes, 4 of which just sleep until all 8 jobs
> are done.

I've just downloaded it ,having a couple of M-CPU machines, it's quite
interesting. At this moment I think that you should not see it as
'magical distribution' of your processing pool but more like the way
threads work. So every function will stay on it's CPU while executing
and will not use the process power of another CPU if available.

So I guess you have to fine grain your program to take the advantage of
multiple CPU's, just like you would do if you had 'real' threads.

--
mph