Python does not play well with others

msoulier msoulier at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 22:14:45 EST 2007

On Jan 23, 8:50 pm, John Nagle <n... at animats.com> wrote:
>    The major complaint I have about Python is that the packages
> which connect it to other software components all seem to have
> serious problems.  As long as you don't need to talk to anything
> outside the Python world, you're fine.

As one who has attempted to develop a wxPython application with an
sqlite backend, developing on both Linux and Windows, I would conclude
that the problem is version skew between third-party components and
the core.

Python 1.5.2 touted a simple core language that made Python easy to
learn. I would argue that the core is no longer simple, and it is very
easy to write modules that are not backwards-compatible. This results
in third-party components that you may need but are either not updated
against the new version of Python that you're using, or are not
compatible with the older version of Python that you shipped with.

I found it quite a frustrating experience. Love the language but I'd
rather it not keep reinventing itself quite so quickly, permitting
maintainers to keep up, especially when said maintenance is a
volunteer effort.

Mike