huge amounts of pure Python code broken by Python 2.5?

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Tue Feb 6 12:56:39 EST 2007

Steven Bethard wrote:
> Jean-Paul Calderone <exarkun at divmod.com> wrote:
>  > Huge amounts of my pure Python code was broken by Python 2.5.
>
> Interesting. Could you give a few illustrations of this? (I didn't run
> into the same problem at all, so I'm curious.)
>
> Steve

   I'd like to know, too.  I have the same code running in 2.4 and 2.5,
and I've had the following problems:

1.  Bug [ 1651995 ] sgmllib _convert_ref UnicodeDecodeError exception,
new in 2.5
(a patch to sgmllib._convert_ref appears to have broken something)
(This might be the switch from Latin-1 to ascii as default, now that
I think about it.)

2.  MySQLdb isn't fully supported for Python 2.5 yet, and there's no tested
Windows executable available, although there's an untested version from
a World of Warcraft guild available.

3.  M2Crypto has versioning issues between Python, SWIG, gcc, and OpenSSL,
and getting everything to play together can be difficult.  This is
a packaging issue; major Linux distros aren't shipping a compatible set of
components.

But my own pure Python code is working fine in both version of Python,
and on both Windows and Linux.

				John Nagle