Checking default arguments

Igor V. Rafienko igorr at ifi.uio.no
Fri Feb 2 13:30:53 EST 2007

Hi,

I was wondering whether it was possible to find out which parameter
value is being used: the default argument or the user-supplied one.
That is:

def foo(x, y="bar"):
    # how to figure out whether the value of y is
    # the default argument, or user-supplied?

foo(1, "bar") => user-supplied
foo(1)        => default

{}.pop seems to be able to make this dictinction.

I've checked the inspect module, but nothing obvious jumped at me. Any
hints?

Thanks,

ivr
--
"...but it's HDTV -- it's got a better resolution than the real world."
		                           -- Fry, "When aliens attack"