huge amounts of pure Python code broken by Python 2.5?

John Roth JohnRoth1 at jhrothjr.com
Tue Feb 6 11:50:03 EST 2007

On Feb 6, 8:40 am, Steven Bethard <steven.beth... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jean-Paul Calderone <exar... at divmod.com> wrote:
>
>  > Huge amounts of my pure Python code was broken by Python 2.5.
>
> Interesting. Could you give a few illustrations of this? (I didn't run
> into the same problem at all, so I'm curious.)
>
> Steve

At a guess, the most likely thing to break code in job lots in 2.5 was
the change in default coding from latin-1 (or whatever the
installation has the default set to) to ascii.

This would have a tendency to break most modules that depended on the
default source coding. Fortunately, the fix is (not quite trivially)
easy - just scan the library and put the right coding comment in the
front.

John Roth