pygame and python 2.5

siggi smusnmrNOSPAM at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 08:48:58 EST 2007

@Ben Sizer

Hi Ben,

in January I received your message re Pygame and Python 2.5:

>pygame and python 2.5
>Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
>Fri Jan 12 11:01:00 CET 2007
>
>siggi wrote:
>
>> when I rtry to install pygame (pygame-1.7.1release.win32-py2.4.exe, the
>> most
>> ciurrent version I found) it requires Python 2.4! Will I really have to
>> uninstall my Python 2.5 and install the old Python 2.4 in order to use
>> pygame?
>
>For now, yes. This is a long-standing problem with Python really,
>requiring extensions to always be recompiled for newer versions. I
>usually have to wait about 6 months to a year after any new release
>before I can actually install it, due to the extension lag.
>
>--
>Ben Sizer

As a Python (and programming ) newbie  allow me a  - certainly naive -
question:

What is this time consuming part of recompiling an extension, such as
Pygame, from source code to Windows? Is it a matter of spare time to do the
job? Or do you have to wait for some Windows modules that are necessary for
compiling?

I am just asking for sake of "scientific" interest; building, compiling
from source code is a mystery to me poor Windows user ;-)

Thank you,

siggi