SWIG overhead

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu Feb 1 06:48:12 EST 2007

> Yeah, found that one googling around. But I haven´t fund anything more
> up to date. I imagine, that the performance of all of these wrappers
> has been improved since then. But the performance of Python/C API
> would too?
> Anyways, it´s not about exact number, it´s more about taking decision
> if doing rewrite is worth it´s time.

The wrappers essentially create the boilerplate-code that invokes the Python
C-API. So whatever improvements the latter has been developed, the wrappers
will benefit from it. I doubt that there are major performance penalties
associated with any of them.

More important for a wrapper-decision is the question how easy they are to
use.

Diez