Python installation problem

Ray Buck rbuck at xmission.com
Wed Feb 28 15:33:45 EST 2007

I've been trying to install Mailman, which requires a newer version
of the Python language compiler (p-code generator?) than the one I
currently have on my linux webserver/gateway box.

It's running a ClarkConnect 2.01 package based on Red Hat 7.2 linux.

I downloaded the zipped tarball (Python-2.4.4.tgz), ran gunzip, then
un-tarred it in /usr/local.  Then (logged in as root) from
/usr/local/Python-2.4.4 I ran the configure script which appeared to
run properly.  At least there were no error messages that I
saw.  Then I attempted to run "make install" and ended up with an
error "make *** Error 1".  It was right at the "libinstall" section
of the make, so I did some googling and came up with the following command:
[root at gateway Python-2.4.4]# make libinstall inclinstall

After thrashing for about 5 minutes, I got basically the same message:
Compiling /usr/local/lib/python2.4/zipfile.py ...
make: *** [libinstall] Error 1

I dunno if this is relevant, but I have Python 2.2.2 in the
/usr/Python-2.2.2 directory.  Do I have to blow this away in order to
install the newer distro?  Or do I need to install the new one in/usr
instead of /usr/local?

Although I'm a retired programmer (mainframes), I'm still learning
this linux stuff.  I guess that makes me a noob...I hope you'll take
that into consideration.

Thanks,

Ray