when will python 2.5 take in mainstream?

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 07:45:35 EST 2007

On Feb 5, 4:15 pm, Jean-Paul Calderone <exar... at divmod.com> wrote:
> It's very easy to maintain compatibility in the C API.  I'm much more
> interested in compatibility at the Python layer, which is changed
> incompatibly much, much more frequently than is the C layer.

Really? In all cases I've found, pure-Python extensions written for
2.4 work with 2.5. The same was true for 2.3 to 2.4 as well. And even
if I found one that didn't, it's highly likely I could fix it myself.

The same doesn't apply to any C compiled extensions. Updating Python
breaks these, every time, and users typically have to wait months for
the library developer to compile a new version, every time. Or maybe
they can wade through the morass of "how do I compile this library on
Windows" threads here. Perhaps the C API remains the same but the real
issue is the binary API between extensions and Python changes every
couple of years or so. That's why I run 2.4 anywhere that needs
extensions.

It would be great if someone could invest some time in trying to fix
this problem. I don't think I know of any other languages that require
recompilation of libraries for every minor version increase.

--
Ben Sizer