Python 3.0 unfit for serious work?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Feb 21 13:44:09 EST 2007

In article <1172043626.705209.14870 at v45g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>,
Jay Tee <jeff.templon at gmail.com> wrote:

>If backwards compatibility is not a consideration, then it would be a
>miracle if there were no problems.

Backwards compatibility is a consideration AND there will be problems.
That is, the goal of 3.0 is to lower the priority of backwards
compatibility enough to make some incompatible changes, but not to reduce
the priority of compatibility to zero.  Just for example, "foo" will
become a Unicode string.

Note that I believe it will be many years, perhaps even a decade, before
"python" on a Unix system starts up Python 3.0.  Python 2.x will have at
least two releases after 3.0 gets released, and I can't imagine that any
OS will have "python" refer to 3.0 while 2.x is still under active
development or even for a while after.  I'd expect any OS to provide a
python3.

"I disrespectfully agree."  --SJM