gmpy moving to code.google.com

aleaxit at gmail.com aleaxit at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 14:48:46 EST 2007

On Feb 27, 1:38 pm, "Ziga Seilnacht" <ziga.seilna... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Alex Martelli wrote:
> > On Feb 27, 2007, at 2:59 AM, Daniel Nogradi wrote:
>
> > > Hi Alex,
>
> > > I did another test, this time with python 2.4 on suse and things are
> > > worse than in the previous case (which was python 2.5 on fedora 3),
> > > ouput of 'python gmp_test.py' follows:
>
> > Interesting!  gmpy interacts with decimal.Decimal by "monkey-
> > patching" that class on the fly; clearly the monkey-patching isn't
> > working with 2.4 on SuSE, so all the addition attempts are failing
> > (all 6 of them).
>
> > So the issue is finding out why this strategy is failing there, while
> > succeeding on other Linux distros, Mac, and Windows.
>
> This is a bug in Python's decimal module in release 2.4.0. It was
> fixed
> in release 2.4.1:
>
> http://svn.python.org/view?rev=38708&view=rev

Thanks!  This was really helpful and saved me a lot of head-
scratching.

I'm wondering if I should specifically test for 2.4.0 in the tests,
and give a clear error message about decimal interoperability with
other types being broken in that release and suggesting an upgrade,
rather than producing "mysterious" test breakages... done -- I think
this may simplify things in the future.

Thanks,

Alex