numpy, numarray, or numeric?

RickMuller rpmuller at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 20:57:19 EST 2007

On Feb 15, 5:40 pm, "Christian Convey" <christian.con... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I need to bang out an image processing library (it's schoolwork, so I
> can't just use an existing one).  But I see three libraries competing
> for my love: numpy, numarray, and numeric.
>
> Can anyone recommend which one I should use?  If one is considered the
> officially blessed one going forward, that would be my ideal.
>
> Thanks,
> Christian

Use numpy; it is the "officially blessed one" that you refer to. It
has all of the advantages of the other two.

Numeric was the first library, but it had some drawbacks that led some
people to develop Numarray, which had some additional features.
Finally, the numpy project was started to unify the two groups by
providing some of the new features in a code base consistent with the
old library as well.