os.system and quoted strings

Sriram sriram.sundararajan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 09:36:41 EST 2007

Hello svata,
It is always better to compose your string before you send it as a
command.

try printing your command string out like this :
print 'gvim dir+fileName+".txt". You'll see what the problem is.

One possible solution is to compose your command string in the
following manner:
cmd = "gvim %s%s.txt" %(dir, fileName)
and simply call os.system with cmd.
os.system(cmd)

Here is a little more detail on string format specifiers
http://docs.python.org/lib/typesseq-strings.html

HTH
Sriram