Glob returning an empty list when passed a variable

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 9 09:15:51 EST 2007

Neil Webster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering whether anybody could help me out.
>
> I have a program, for part of it I am trying to pass a variable to a
> glob function, this returns an empty list.  The strange thing is when
> I hard code in the variable the glob section works.
>
> Does anybody have any ideas as why it is not working?
>
> The section of code that is not working is:
>
> # The variable to be passed to the glob function
> area_name_string = '"*% s*"' % (Area_name)
>
> os.chdir(Input)
>
> filename = glob.glob(area_name_string)
>
> Thanks in advance

Because you are trying to match filenames that have a double-quote
character at the start and end? Try

area_name_string = '*% s*' % (Area_name)

Interesting, I never realised until now that you can have spaces between
the percent sign and th format effector.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden