Distributing Python Applications

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Sat Feb 10 07:48:10 EST 2007

En Sat, 10 Feb 2007 09:21:29 -0300, <Finger.Octopus at gmail.com> escribió:

> It has been such a painful thing for me.

Ouch... why was that? Programming in Python, or using py2exe?

> As I made a program to
> encrypt files, now I want to distribute that program over other
> computers. I created .EXE file with py2exe but the "dist" folder makes
> around 2 mb and it restricts for the python DLL to be within the same
> folder. Is there any easy way to get this thing done in just one exe
> file?

Perhaps... but what would you gain? Most programs include, apart from the
main executable: manual, license, readme file, release notes, installation
guide, other resources, etc.
You can use an installer like Inno Setup to package nicely all required
pieces into a single distributable file. For simple programs, even a
self-extracting .zip would suffice.

> I mean if I do interfacing with C/C++ will it work for me and if
> I do interfacing with C/C++ will it be necessary on the other computer
> to have python installed on it?

I don't understand what are you asking... You can extend and/or embed
Python using C. And you already know py2exe, obviously: the idea is to
*not* require a previous Python install in order to run your application.

--
Gabriel Genellina