Does the world need another v0.1 python compiler?

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Thu Feb 8 12:13:34 EST 2007

On Feb 8, 8:03 am, "Kay Schluehr" <kay.schlu... at gmx.net> wrote:

> This code generation for an arbitrary backend sounds more like an
> appropriate task for PyPy. I think Grant's or anyone elses compiler
> could be a viable tool for augmenting the CPython interpreter in
> particular in the presence of optional type annotations in Py3K.

IMHO, with the presence of static types in Py3K, we should have a
static compiler that can be invoked dynamically, just like Common
Lisp.

Something like

def foo(...):
bar = static_compile(foo, optimize=2)
bar(...)

JIT compilers are hyped, static compilers perform much better. This
way the programmer can decide what needs to be compiled. This is the
reason why CMUCL can compete with most C compilers.