Help Required for Choosing Programming Language

Don Taylor nospamformeSVP at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 10:20:36 EST 2007

ifti_crazy at yahoo.com wrote:
> I am VB6 programmer and wants to start new programming language but i
> am unable to deciced.
>
> i have read about Python, Ruby and Visual C++. but i want to go
> through with GUI based programming language like VB.net

By 'GUI based programming language' I think that you mean an integrated
development environment that includes a visual designer that allows you
to layout your GUI  and that generates a skeleton application for you to
  complete.

If this is so then the nearest thing that I have found is Boa
Constructor, although you will need to know more about the underlying
windowing system (wxPython) than you would when using VB.net in Visual
Studio.

Another system worth a close look is Pythoncard.

Other folks have already mentioned Dabo, but this is probably too early
in its development for your needs.

As an alternative, you can make your own choice of editor/IDE and use a
stand-alone visual designer for your GUI.  I like Pydev/Eclipse for an
IDE and wxGlade for the visual designer.  Again, you will need to learn
something about wxPython if you want avoid lots of frustration - Robin
Dunn's book 'wxPython in Action' is good.

There are probably similar toolkits available for combinations of Python
and other windowing systems (Tkinter, Qt).

Don.