timeout in urllib.open()

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Feb 19 11:35:19 EST 2007

Stefan Palme wrote:

>>> [Stefan]
>>> But when there is a "default timeout" (as indicated by
>>> the method name) - isn't there a "per-socket timeout"
>>> too?
>> [Peter]
>> Yes, but it isn't as easily available...
>>
>> Perhaps you find some ideas here:
>>
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2007-February/070897.html
>
> Thanks, will have a look at this.

This has recently been discussed on python-dev. It's likely that certain
libraries will acquire a timeout keyword argument in the next release,
but only if someone is concerned enough to develop the appropriate
patches - the principle appears to be accepted.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden