Curses sorely lacking an event loop?

James Stroud jstroud at mbi.ucla.edu
Tue Feb 27 07:27:17 EST 2007

Hello,

Is curses really lacking an event loop? Do I have to write my own? I
infer from the docs that this is the case. For example, I want the
screen to be updated with resize but I find myself waiting for getch()
if I want user input, and so the screen must remain ugly until the user
presses a key. What am I missing?

Also, does anyone have boilerplate for handling mouse events? getmouse()
returns an "ERR" of no particular description and also appears to
require a preceding getch() and hence does not seem to be wired at all
for clicks, although allusion to clicks is found in the descriptions for
mouseinterval() and mousemask().

Here is the error message for getmouse() in case anyone wants details:
"_curses.error: getmouse() returned ERR". This is much less informative
than one might hope.

Thanks in advance for any help.

James