Newbie Question

Stef Mientki S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl
Mon Feb 12 09:59:30 EST 2007

bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com wrote:
>>> Delphi is a (dying) proprietary, MS-Windows-only[1] software relying
>>> on a low-level language.
>> Well it may be dying,
>> but for the moment it beats Python with a factor of 10,
>> when it comes to user (the majority of PC users) friendly GUI ;-)
>
> Would you mind explaining yourself and backing your above assertion ?
> Like, ie, on which points does Delphi "beats" Python wrt/ GUIs, what
> special magic would make so that GUIs designed with Delphi would be
> more "user-friendly", and where does this "factor 10" comes from ?

Maybe I should have written it in quotes "factor of 10" ;-)
But here are a few points
- in Delphi the GUI design itself is done in a graphical environment, making it much easier and faster
- auto-scaling of components on a form is very easy (so if the user changes form size ..)
- even making everything on a form movable by the end-user is just 1 mouse-click
- using the designers style, or the user style is just 1 click
- very good feedback, so creating interactive graphs is very easy, cross-hair, slopes, region of
interest etc.
- a very huge collection of controls is standard available
- print / clipboard / export to almost any graphical file format, just 1 line of code

but to be honest ...
... I never even tried to write a GUI in Python, ...
... just looked at others examples,
... and still not seen what I can perform in Delphi ;-)

cheers,
Stef Mientki