Where Does One Begin?

Michael ms at cerenity.org
Fri Feb 2 19:43:40 EST 2007

Mister Newbie wrote:

> I have no programming experience. I want to learn Python so I can make
> simple, 2D games. Where should I start? Can you recommend a good book?

If that's your goal, there's a perfect book for you - it's called "Python
for the Absolute Beginner". It focusses on people with no programming
experience, and aims to teach you how to make simple 2D games.

Sounds like a perfect match. Even it's first example program is oriented
around this and it's a simple program that displays a well worn 2 word
phrase known to many a programmer and games player:

----
#!/usr/bin/python

print "GAME OVER!"
----

It's relatively gentle, but builds up towards writing simple games in
pygame.

Michael.