Pickling of generators

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 16 09:53:58 EST 2007

KIaus Muller wrote:
> Generators are becoming more and more important and powerful in Python.
> The inability of pickle to save/restore generators has become a major
> (and growing) limitation to the full exploitation of generators.
>
> The requirement for pickling generators has already been raised in 2003.
>
> My project (SimPy - Simulation in Python) has had this requirement since
> its inception in 2002. Generator pickling would make saving and
> reloading simulation state trivial. The workarounds one has to use
> without this capability are baroque and beyond the expertise of a
> typical simulation user.
>
> Is there any hope of action in this area in the foreseeable future?

I doubt it, though who can know what's in the minds of other developers.

You might want to look at Stackless Python, which allows you to pickle
tasklets and resume them - even on a machine of a different architecture.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden