Help Required for Choosing Programming Language

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Sat Feb 17 03:35:07 EST 2007

> The final goal of programming language is (in most cases)
> meant to create functional things,
> that can assist people to perform their tasks.
> The UI of that resulting thing should be optimal adapted to the final
> audience (and task).
> My audience is most comfortable with a intuitive GUI.
> In most of my applications,
> I need about 50% of the time for the GUI and 50% for the other
> functional code.
> These estimates are for Delphi (is about identical as VB, which I used
> previous).
> For what I've seen until now from Python,
> - designing the GUI will cost me about 2 .. 3 times as much in Python

You mean delphi here I presume?
> - Python is not capable of doing everything I need
> (almost all interactive actions are very primitive and crashes a lot)

I'm not sure what you are talking about here, and I have the deep
impression you yourself don't as well.

Matter of factly, there is no "the python GUI". There are quite a few
choices. The built-in tkinter, which - while limited in some senses - is
developed by Frederik Lundh, and while I personally haven't done too
much with it, his reputation as one of the most high profiled python
developers doesn't go along pretty well with your assertions above. So
-whatever you used as GUI-toolkit, you either used it wrong, or it
really wasn't good.

But then there are at least three major other toolkits available, wx,
gtk and Qt. The first two I've only dabbled a bit with and can't comment on.

But I've done extensive, cross-platform development with Qt. And can
assert that it is unmatched in productivity and feature richness,
especially when combined with python. And certainly beat VB, and most
probably even delphi (albeit I haven't done too much in that to really
put all my weight behind these words).

And so I'm under the strong impression that your - undoubtedly correct
from a personal point of view, and I don't think your meaning evil here
- observations are wrong and are based on a lack of experience in python
and it's available gui-options.

Diez