Regular Expressions

Shawn Milo Shawn at Milochik.com
Sat Feb 10 23:02:39 EST 2007

On 10 Feb 2007 18:58:51 -0800, gregarican <greg.kujawa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 10, 6:26 pm, "Geoff Hill" <thegeoffmeis... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What's the way to go about learning Python's regular expressions? I feel
> > like such an idiot - being so strong in a programming language but knowing
> > nothing about RE.
>
> I highly recommend reading the book "Mastering Regular Expressions,"
> which I believe is published by O'Reilly. It's a great reference and
> helps peel the onion in terms of working through RE. They are a
> language unto themselves. A fun brain exercise.
>
> --

Absolutely: Get "Mastering Regular Expressions" by Jeffrey Friedl. Not
only is it easy to read, but you'll get a lot of mileage out of
regexes in general. Grep, Perl one-liners, Python, and other tools use
regexes, and you'll find that they are really clever little creatures
once you befriend a few of them.

Shawn