CherryPy/Turbogears on server not controlled by me

Eddie Corns eddie at holyrood.ed.ac.uk
Tue Feb 20 13:19:01 EST 2007

"Diez B. Roggisch" <deets at nospam.web.de> writes:

>Brian Blais wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I was wondering if there is a way to run CherryPy/Turbogears on a server
>> that I don't
>> have root access to.  If I just choose a random port, I think the security
>> guys on
>> the server would get annoyed at me.

>Why should they? Opening anything networking will open a port. And if you
>have shell access, you can point PYTHONPATH to a directory of your choice
>and let easy_install install the packages required there.

>I don't see a problem. And _if_ they get mad at you, well - there isn't
>anything you can do about that I presume apart from telling them to shut
>up - because without a port, there is no webapp...

And since your application is not running as root the worst that can happen if
you introduce a security hazard in your app is that only your files are
endangered.  I run several TG apps in user space and the only small problem
I've had is the logistics of telling people if you have to move it somewhere
else since a DNS alias doesn't help much with explicit port numbers in the URL.

Eddie