How to test whether a host is reachable?

Bart Ogryczak B.Ogryczak at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 11:22:45 EST 2007

On Feb 22, 3:22 pm, Fabian Steiner <l... at fabis-site.net> wrote:

> Now I am wondering if there isn't any better method which would be more
> general. In fact, I think of something like a python version of ping
> which only tries to send ICMP packets.

Server or a firewall in between most probably will filter out any ICMP
packets, so you'll get no pings at all from a machine which IS on-
line. The only way is try the services that you know, that should be
open on that machine. Do not try too many at a time, becouse that
could be interpeted as portscan and you'll get blacklisted.