Python editor

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Tue Feb 6 16:00:50 EST 2007

On 6 Feb 2007 12:51:13 -0800, BBands <bbands at gmail.com> wrote:
>No, no, no, this is not an invitation to the editor wars.
>
>I have been using José Cláudio Faria's superb Tinn-R, http://www.sciviews.org/Tinn-R/,
>with the R language, http://www.r-project.org/. This editor allows you
>to send code to the R shell for execution. You can easily send a line,
>the selection, the balance after the cursor or the whole script.
>
>I have recently decided to move this project to Python instead of R.
>However, I miss the interaction with the shell a la Tinn-R. Do any of
>the Python editors support this feature? I would be especially
>interested in using IPython as the shell.

Python mode for emacs defines these functions which may be interesting to
you:

python-send-buffer
  Command: Send the current buffer to the inferior Python process.
python-send-command
  Function: Like `python-send-string' but resets `compilation-minor-mode'.
python-send-defun
  Command: Send the current defun (class or method) to the inferior Python process.
python-send-receive
  Function: Send STRING to inferior Python (if any) and return result.
python-send-region
  Command: Send the region to the inferior Python process.
python-send-region-and-go
  Command: Send the region to the inferior Python process.
python-send-string
  Command: Evaluate STRING in inferior Python process.

Jean-Paul