Python 3.0 unfit for serious work?

Jay Tee jeff.templon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 15:44:53 EST 2007

Hi,

On Feb 20, 8:59 pm, Steven Bethard <steven.beth... at gmail.com> wrote:
> You snipped the rest of that comment:
>
> "It's not even clear yet that your average 2.6 code will work on 3.0 --
> though there's a pretty large contingent trying to make this true."

Thanks for pointing this out.  I voted for the comp.lang.python
newsgroup back in the early 90's, my active days of python
'development' are over, it's all i can do to hang on to the code i've
been posting about.

> have 2.6/3.0 compatible code) by late 2011. Sure, it's a long way off,
> but you're writing 2.2 compatible code *now*. Is it really that bad to
> wait four years for Python 3.0?

As long as when python 3.0 shows up, i don't have to do a massive
rewrite.  I think I've really only had to change two or three things
over the years .. one was that I used to use words like "dict" and
"list" in my code, which broke in subtle ways when d = dict() became
legal.

I just dug out some code laying around on disk from 1994, and ran it,
unchanged, under python 2.3.5. If I can achieve this (running 2007
code under python3.0 in 2011 with no modifications), that'd be OK.

    JT