glutInit and wxPython on Mac OSX

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Tue Feb 6 10:41:42 EST 2007

Artie wrote:
> I seem to have uncovered a problem when using glutInit alongside
> wxPython on Mac OSX.  If glutInit is called prior to creating a
> wx.App, many window and mouse events are either lost, not generated,
> or misgenerated for the glcanvas.  However, if glutInit is called
> after the wx.App has been created then all is well.
>
> Has anyone ran across this issue before?  If so, why does this order
> matter or affect the wx Event system?

As to the whys and wherefores I cannot say, but there are many functions
within the Wx package that require the application to be running before
they can be called, so I presume glutInit makes use of some of those.

Note that you can create a wx.App without creating windows visible on
the screen.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden