Calling J from Python

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Feb 9 21:20:36 EST 2007

ant:
> and in debugging it far outweighs the time you'd spend on all
> of that typing in a clean but more verbose language such as Python.

Typing time counts a bit too. A language like Java is even more
verbose than Python, and that probably slows down the actual
programming, compared to less verbose languages. I think there is some
verbosity sweet spot between J and Java, and for me that's called
Python ;-)

Martin Lüthi:
> more elegant solutions sought!

This is a bit simpler, but probably there are simpler solutions using
modular arithmetic:

l = [1]
for _ in range(15):
    print ''.join(" *"[x] for x in l)
    l = [1] + [l[i+1]^l[i] for i in range(len(l)-1)] + [1]

Bye,
bearophile