Python does not play well with others

Kirk Sluder kirk at nospam.jobsluder.net
Sat Feb 3 11:29:58 EST 2007

In article <7xirek9pdt.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
 Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote:

> I do think the core should have more stuff than it does, so that its
> functionality can be on a par with competing language distros like
> J2SE and PHP.  Both of those distros include database connectvity
> modules and web frameworks.

Can't speak for PHP, but J2SE requires the additional installation
of the Mysql Connector/J JDBC driver.  Java also does not include a
web framework as far as I can tell, with many people bolting on
struts and Tomcat for this purpose.

Now granted, it may or may not be a good idea for python to copy the
java way of doing things by including the generic database API into
the core libraries rather than expect database module developers to
use the API.  But that doesn't solve the core problem that you can't
get database connectivity just through the core language.

And for that matter, perl doesn't include the database drivers or a
web framework either.

php does, but I've always considered php to be a web framework with
an embedded programming language.   Comparing python to php here
strikes me as comparing apples and oranges.