os.system and quoted strings

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Feb 28 09:28:48 EST 2007

Dennis Lee Bieber  <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>... 	"Documents and Settings",
>... 	"somepath")
>'c:Documents and Settings\\somepath'
>>>>

>Hmmm, a quick test with
>
>dir "e:userdata"
>
>worked, so the top level \ may not be needed...

"drive:" is the 'cwd' on the drive, so "drive:directory" is relative
to that. Try "cd e:userdata" and repeat "dir e:userdata" and see what
happens. os.path.join() has to behave as above, otherwise you wouldn't
be able to use it to construct a relative path like that.

(And since I don't think anyone's mentioned it in this thread yet,
subprocess.call() instead of os.system().)

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
  ___  |  "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"