pycallgraph 0.2.0

Stef Mientki S.Mientki-nospam at mailbox.kun.nl
Sat Feb 10 07:14:06 EST 2007

Gerald Kaszuba wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just released a new version of pycallgraph. It has many improvements
> over 0.1.0. Here is an example of a call graph made in pycallgraph
> 0.2.0:
> http://pycallgraph.slowchop.com/pycallgraph/wiki/RegExpExample
>
> There are more examples on the web site:
> http://pycallgraph.slowchop.com/
>
> The changes are:
> * Windows access denied bug fixed
> * graph uses different colours depending on the number of calls made
> to the function
> * graph settings and look are very customisable
> * exclude and include filters
> * stop_trace() is not required anymore, it is called automatically by
> make_graph()
> * will throw an exception if there is an error from dot/neato
> * removed obvious use of __main__ as the module name
> * added some examples
>
> There is no documentation yet but if you browse the source you'll be
> able to figure out a lot.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> Gerald

looks very good Gerald, thanks !

My first test was terrible: a file of 800kB was created,
Trying to view it, resulted in the following:
- Paint Shop Pro told me it was not a valid PNG file,
- Mozilla crashed after 5 minutes,
- GIMP gave me a preview after half an hour ;-)

So a few suggestions:
- is there a way to limit the number of nodes ?
- "pycallgraph." nodes are "non-information"
(maybe you can find another way to place your "signature" ;-)
- how do I exclude modules/files/objects (sorry I'm still a newbie in Python)

cheers,
Stef Mientki