'import dl' on AMD64 platform

John Pye john.pye at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 06:27:50 EST 2007

On Feb 19, 6:30 am, Nick Craig-Wood <n... at craig-wood.com> wrote:
> John Pye <john.... at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  application from running on the Debian Etch AMD64 platform.
> >  It seems that the 'dl' module is not available on that platform. The
> >  only reason I need the 'dl' module, however, is for the values of
> >  RTLD_LAZY etc, which I use with sys.setdlopenflags() in order to make
> >  my imported SWIG module share its symbols correctly with more deeply-
> >  nested plugin modiles in my C-code layer.
>
> >  I wonder if there is a workaround for this -- perhaps another way to
> >  access the values of those RTLD flags?
>
> Read stuff out of /usr/include/bits/dlfcn.h ?
>
> It seems to be a constant 1 anyway
>
> #define RTLD_LAZY       0x00001
>
> You could try compiling the dl module by hand.

Well yes, and that's the workaround I came up with: for systems that
don't provide the 'dl' module, I just default to the values I found on
my linux (ubuntu) system. This is a nasty hack however.

I wonder if anyone could say why the Debian people left out this
important module from their AMD64 platform?

Cheers
JP