Python does not play well with others

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sun Feb 4 14:16:53 EST 2007

Paul Boddie wrote:
> I was really advocating improvements to the built-in SSL support,
> anyway, which was also what the complainant was suggesting before
> people started asking him mistakenly why he thought that Python was
> weakened by some third party packages (PyOpenSSL, M2Crypto).

     The real problems are with integration of modules that
aren't written in Python.  Python-only modules don't have the
version compatibility problems which C modules do.  Loading
a Python-only module from an external source is usually not
a big deal.  Building a C module, especially one with
dependencies on other components, can be a big deal.
So, focus on problems with modules which have C
components.

				John Nagle