Help Required for Choosing Programming Language

Thomas Bartkus thomasbartkus at comcast.net
Sat Feb 24 13:04:45 EST 2007

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:03:43 -0800, Andy Dingley wrote:

<snip>
> GUI-based" is fairly unimportant as it's just how you build your
> programs, not what they do afterwards

Most user apps. require 95% of coding effort to provide a usable user
interface and 5% effort on the algorithmic meat.  The "afterwards" you
allude to. So why do we still endure so much programming effort on the
unimportant part?

Because elegent algorithms require bullet proof and intuitive user
interfaces or people won't use or buy your software.

<snip>
> GUI programs are less important now than they were a few years ago,
> owing to the huge importance of the web and HTML.

Now with html the programming load rises to about 99.8% effort for the
user interface and 0.2% on the algorithmic core. All that coding
effort wasted on a user interface that looks and works like crap.

The top poster is quite correct to ask for a system like VB6 that banishes
the problem of user interface coding to the trivial role it deserves.
Why should a programmer waste even so much as 10% of his effort to throw
together a standard interface with ordinary textboxes, labels, and option
buttons?  Over and over again?

Thomas Bartkus