Python does not play well with others

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 11:26:48 EST 2007

I find Paul Rubin's arguments compelling and convincing. As just a
Python user (i.e., someone who has contributed nothing) let me add a
few comments along the same lines.

On 03 Feb 2007 18:31:03 -0800, Paul Rubin
<"http://phr.cx"@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> skip at pobox.com writes:
> >     Paul> Why would I expect your employer to solve my problems anyway, even
> >     Paul> if they relate to some module that you actually use?
> >
> > Your reasoning seems to be that Python should contain the functional union
> > of everything at least in Java and PHP if not Perl, Ruby and Tcl as well.
>
> I wouldn't go quite that far.  I think there are specific application
> areas, such as web server apps, where the Python advocates here on
> clpy pitch Python relentlessly against those other languages.  Given
> that context, Python's stdlib should try to match the libraries of
> those other languages in those areas.  There are other areas where
> Python doesn't get pitched as hard and the other languages have
> acknowledged advantages.  So it's ok if Python's stdlib gets less
> attention in those areas.

In fact, it is quite frustrating to operate under the impression that
"Python is good for X, Y, Z, ...." and then realize "ooops, it is
becoming a pain in the ass to do X, whereas language L does X just
fine". It seems to me that Python advocates sometimes (often?) get
carried away. DB "sure, no problem"; web-frameworks "who needs Rails,
we have (lots of) frameworks that do it"; functional programming
"Python can do all the functional programming anyone in his/her mind
should ever try to do"; etc.

Compare this to the, in my opinion, equanimous, fair, "advertisement"
one finds in the Erlang page or the recognition by schemers that
scheme is not the only game in town.

> > If you want to turn the Python distribution into a kitchen sink,
> > make the argument on python-dev and be prepared to shoulder your
> > share of the burden should your arguments sway the group as a whole.
>
> We've had this conversation before and I continue to think your
> reasoning above is invalid.  I'm not a Python developer, I'm just a
> user, and my volunteer coding priorities are elsewhere, as I've
> explained before.  Python's developers and advocates have a declared
> goal of reaching as many users as they can, and as a user I don't mind
> offering suggestions about how to do that, but my responsibilities
> don't go any further.

R.