Decimating Excel files

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Feb 5 21:42:22 EST 2007

On Feb 6, 1:19 pm, gonzlobo <gonzl... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to open the file with Kate, trust me, it's an Excel file.

Who or what is Kate? In what sense is trying to open it any evidence
that it's an Excel file? Did you *succeed* in opening the file "with
Kate"?

What is the problem that the "average user" is having?

> I'm using xlrd, it works beautifully

That's nice to know, and not altogether unexpected :-) but doing what
exactly?

>  (although come to think of it, I
> haven't tried writing to an .xls file yet... hmmm)

Errrrmmm, the "rd" in "xlrd" means *read*  -- it doesn't write files.
For that, you need a version of pyExcelerator (or variant thereof)
with a bug or two fixed. And that won't write "to" files in the sense
of updating an existing file.

Ermmm #2, sense of deja vu here, did you or did you not receive the
detailed e-mail message I sent you 2+ days ago when you first posted??
-- mentioned xlrd, writer, bridge between reader and writer, ...

Cheers,
John