Weird result returned from adding floats depending on order I add them

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Feb 21 05:11:58 EST 2007

joanne matthews (RRes-Roth) wrote:
> I'm getting different results when I add up a list of floats depending
> on the order that I list the floats. For example, the following returns
> False:
> def check():
> 	totalProp=0
> 	inputs=[0.2,0.2,0.2,0.1,0.2,0,0.1]
> 	for each in inputs:
>
>    		totalProp+=each
>    	print "totalProp=",totalProp
>    	if totalProp != 1:
>         	print "Your proportions must add up to 1"
>
>         	return False
>    	return True
>
> However, if I swap, the 4th and 5th list items like this:
>
> totalProp=0
> inputs=[0.2,0.2,0.2,0.2,0.1,0,0.1]
> for each in inputs:
>
>    totalProp+=each
>    print "totalProp=",totalProp
>    if totalProp != 1:
>         print "Your proportions must add up to 1"
>
>         return False
>    return True
>
> I get True returned. Can anyone tell me whats going on and how I can
> avoid the problem. Thanks
>
> Joanne Matthews

I take it by now you understand that you need to test that the sum of
your numbers is with some small delta of the value you actually require?

I seem to remember this question has been asked on a number of threads,
just don't know whether this is the same question as the others.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Skype: holdenweb     http://del.icio.us/steve.holden