Approaches of interprocess communication

Duncan Grisby duncan-news at grisby.org
Fri Feb 16 07:33:29 EST 2007

In article <1171620696.577982.283740 at m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
exhuma.twn <exhuma at gmail.com> wrote:

>Supposing you have two separate processes running on the same box,
>what approach would you suggest to communicate between those two
>processes.

[...]
>* Webservices
>   Advantage: Relatively easy to use, can work across different
>languages
>   Disadvantage: Even more overhead on the TCP/IP side that simple
>sockets, as really bulky SOAP messages need to be passed around.
>
>* CORBA -- similar to webservices but more complicated to code.

Lots of people say that, but I don't think it's true. Obviously as the
maintainer of a CORBA implementation I'm biased, but take a look at
some examples of code that implement SOAP clients and servers and
compare it to similar CORBA code. Especially in Python, the SOAP code
tends to be incredibly verbose and complex, and the CORBA code really
small and simple.

My recommendation would be that for simple communications where
performance isn't important use XML-RPC; for more complex cases where
performance is a bit more important but you don't need anything except
Python, use Pyro; for cases where performance is particularly
important and/or you need cross-language communications, use CORBA.

Cheers,

Duncan.

--
 -- Duncan Grisby         --