Python compiled on Windows

Franz Steinhaeusler franz.steinhaeusler at gmx.at
Tue Feb 6 02:55:19 EST 2007

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 12:17:48 +0100, hg <hg at nospam.org> wrote:

>Duncan Booth wrote:
>
>> Franz Steinhaeusler <franz.steinhaeusler at gmx.at> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, I'm only curious.
>>>
>>> Why is Python and most extension (also wxPython) not built using an
>>> open source compiler like gcc or g++ on Windows?
>>>
>>> I'm always wondering, why Microsoft is still supported
>>> in that way, using VC++ 7.1, if I'm not wrong.
>>>
>>> Ok, maybe the compiled assembler code could be better, but
>>> this cannot be the reason, or?
>>>
>>> It would be wonderful (from the principle) if this could be possible.
>>> From the standpoint of open source.
>>>
>>> What are your opinions?
>>
>> Practicality beats purity.
>>
>> To maximise the interoperability of Python with other software on the
>> platform it makes sense to use the best supported compiler environment for
>> the platform.

@Duncan: Yes, you are not wrong! :)
But this is not really open source in my opinion.
Ok there is the VC++ toolkit for download.

I'm just curious, if there ever had compiled on windows using
that toolkit or even with gcc, and with gcc, whether there are problems
or/and differences in speed and run time behaviour.

@hg: that would be cool.