How to build Hierarchies of dict's? (Prototypes in Python?)

Toby etatoby at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 11:45:31 EST 2007

Charles D Hixson wrote:
> What I basically want is a kind of class that has both class and
> instance level dict variables, such that descendant classes
> automatically create their own class and instance level dict variables.
> The idea is that if a member of this hierarchy looks up something in
> it's local dict, and doesn't find it, it then looks in the class dict,
> and if not there it looks in its ancestral dict's.  This is rather like
> what Python does at compile time, but I want to do it at run time.

I don't understand, Python already does it at runtime:

class A:
  A_class_var = 1

class B(A):
  B_class_var = 2
  def __init__(self):
    self.B_inst_var = 3

>>> b.A_class_var
1
>>> b.B_class_var
2
>>> b.B_inst_var
3
>>> A.another = 4
>>> b.another
4

Can you post a ">>>"-script of what you would like your classes to do?

Toby