Newbie Question

bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com bruno.desthuilliers at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 05:04:56 EST 2007

On 12 fév, 15:59, Stef Mientki <S.Mientki-nos... at mailbox.kun.nl>
wrote:
> bruno.desthuilli... at gmail.com wrote:
> >> Well it may be dying,
> >> but for the moment it beats Python with a factor of 10,
> >> when it comes to user (the majority of PC users) friendly GUI ;-)
>
> > Would you mind explaining yourself and backing your above assertion ?
> > Like, ie, on which points does Delphi "beats" Python wrt/ GUIs, what
> > special magic would make so that GUIs designed with Delphi would be
> > more "user-friendly", and where does this "factor 10" comes from ?
>
> Maybe I should have written it in quotes "factor of 10" ;-)
> But here are a few points
> - in Delphi the GUI design itself is done in a graphical environment,

Ever heard of Glade, wxGlade, QTDesigner etc ?

Please stop confusing language, GUI Toolkit, and GUI Designer...

> making it much easier and faster

making it much easier to get a quick prototype. Then, hacking the
source may become *much* more "easy and faster"... (my experience with
other windows clickodromes).

> - auto-scaling of components on a form is very easy (so if the user changes form size ..)

And ?

> - even making everything on a form movable by the end-user is just 1 mouse-click

I wouldn't like to make "everything movable by the end-user"...

> - using the designers style, or the user style is just 1 click
> - very good feedback, so creating interactive graphs is very easy, cross-hair, slopes, region of
> interest etc.
> - a very huge collection of controls is standard available
> - print / clipboard / export to almost any graphical file format, just 1 line of code
>
> but to be honest ...
> ... I never even tried to write a GUI in Python, ...

Seems quite obvious.

> ... just looked at others examples,
> ... and still not seen what I can perform in Delphi ;-)

IOW, you assert things just based on your experience with Delphi and
your lack of experience with any of the major GUI toolkits availables
from Python.

To be true, I don't know if any of these toolkits (GTK, wxWindows, QT)
and their GUIDesigners have the features you like in Delphi. What I
know is that:
1/ these three toolkits have everything *needed* to write serious GUI
apps
2/ they are all (more or less) portable
3/ the first two are free software
4/ they are all (more or less) language-independant

So talking about GUIs, I think we're really far from "a factor of 10".
It may be possible that Delphi has a better GUI *designer* than some
other GUI toolkits, but that's far from being a major concern as far a
I'm concerned - I wouldn't choose my tools based only on this
consideration.