Pep 3105: the end of print?

Christophe chris.cavalaria at free.fr
Tue Feb 27 05:29:47 EST 2007

Martin v. Löwis a écrit :
> Neil Cerutti schrieb:
>> On 2007-02-23, I V <wrongbad at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> While that's true, C++ compiler vendors, for example, take
>>> backwards compatibility significantly less seriously, it seems
>>> to me.
>> Compiler vendors usually take care of their customers with
>> compiler switches that enable backwards compatibility.
>
> That's a bold statement, after I V already gave two examples
> (g++ and MSVC 2005) of compilers that broke backwards compatibility
> without providing compiler switches to bring it back. These two
> aren't "minor" compilers.

In C++ land, people are expected to fix their code and not use broken
compilers in such situations.

They have some kind of moral high ground because they do not break
compatibility just for that but to be more standards compliant. And the
fact that all the C++ code I've written with g++ recently compiled
perfectly on Visual 2005 without a single change ( except fixing new
warnings ) shows that standard compliance in C++ compilers is a good
thing to have. That same code had some major and very annoying breakage
with Visual 6. The fix? Updating that outdated compiler.