is it possible to remove the ':' symbol in the end of lines starting with 'if', 'while' etc?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu Feb 22 06:53:11 EST 2007

openopt at ukr.net wrote:

> I don't know to which forum should I post the message
> I hope someone related to the Python kernel development will read &
> consider the idea
> I'm (a former? meanwhile not sure) MATLAB user & it's very annoing
> typing each time for example
> while i:
>      print i
> instead of
> while i
>     print i
> of course if all is written in a single line ':' I guess should not be
> omited

Won't happen. There have been plenty of discussions about this, and while
technically not necessary, the colon is usually considered "optically
pleasing". So - it will stay.

See - one of a bazillion - discussions here:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/d3784563657ad18b/35581ad9698e28f5?lnk=st&q=python+colon+remove&rnum=1#35581ad9698e28f5

Diez