when will python 2.5 take in mainstream?

tleeuwenburg at gmail.com tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 18:23:37 EST 2007

When they have to ...

One of the big things about Python is that its penetration slows it
down. There's more legacy code and interdependant systems around now
that Python is more successful and more mature.

Here's a thought -- perhaps it would be worth having some good ways to
interact with Python from Python. Suppose you have some 2.4 code
someplace, interacting with your mysqldb or whatever, and you don't
want to rewrite it. So long as you have some kind of object broker,
you could (plausibly) leave your 2.4 apps running with the old
interpreter, but wrap them for Python 2.5 and use that in your new
development.

Ditto 3.0.

Rather than having to re-write every interacting component, maybe it
could be straightforward to all Python2.4 from Python2.5 to execute
particular library calls. I'm not an expert, I don't know how you'd
build such a system, but I do know that re-writing stuff is a real
pain.

Perhaps APIs for 2.5 and 3.0 could have a special version flag, and if
not present or not compatible, a 2.4 interpreter could be called
instead...

Cheers,
-T