Help with Optimization of Python software: real-time audio controller

Paul Rubin http
Sun Feb 11 23:18:06 EST 2007

craiglewiston at gmail.com writes:
> So, for a music-based application where it's crucial to have real-time
> execution of serial writeouts and audio, as well as keeping a
> continual poll on the input from the same port....can this be done
> successfully in Python?  Does using Tkinter have anything to do with
> my timing issues?  Would it benefit me to move over to wxPython
> (something I've been considering doing)?  As for the metronome, should
> I incorporate the metronome thread into the "song processing" thread,
> since both are dealing with events whose timing is crucial?

I think you can't really do that, not just because of Python but also
as a result of using a multitasking OS that's not especially designed
for real time.  You have to rely on some buffering in the audio
hardware, so you don't have to be sample-accurate with the timings.